Thursday, October 25, 2012

White

This weekend I'll have the opportunity to don something that spends a lot of time tucked away in a drawer. (No, not my superhero cape.)

My white belt.

I wish I looked as cool as this kid.

A friend invited me to an Aikido training day his dojo is putting on, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn something different. I've taken 2 or 3 Aikido classes before, but nothing in depth. I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about it.

To be honest, I'm almost more excited about the opportunity to put my white belt back on. Training in one art for a while, it's easy to forget what it was like when I first started. How confusing everything was, how my focus was on imitating the folks who knew what they were doing (or at least more than I did), and learning all the new terminology. It will help me keep that mindset fresh both so I can relate to newcomers more readily and so I can remember it for myself in class.

I read a blog post once about how our training backgrounds give us an "accent," so to speak (no pun intended). When you learn a second language, you usually speak it with the accent of whatever your first language is. I saw a lot of this in my Spanish classes; Southerners have such a hard time getting around their accent to properly pronounce foreign words.

It's similar with martial arts. Whatever the first art you learned is, you tend to carry that style of movement with you into whatever else you learn. (At least until you've been immersed long enough in the new art, then the cycle just starts again.) But it's easier to start from scratch than to fix old habits, everyone knows that.

White blank pages, blank canvases, white walls, white belts. They all start at zero and become whatever they're exposed to. So, my goal for this event is to 1) have fun and 2) go back to zero for Aikido.


BONUS ROUND!
In the comment section below, share your experience from when you first started the art you're in now or used to be in.

I don't remember much about my first jujitsu class, but I remember being pretty out of sorts when I went to my first Bujinkan class. I didn't really know the location, I didn't know anyone, I had barely any idea how to do the rolls I was being shown, and everything seemed complex. I didn't know how to act, how to "bow in," what the rules were if any, and so on. I clung to anything I could carry over from my jujitsu training, which unfortunately (fortunately?) wasn't much. Being so new to everything might have been overwhelming if the guys there hadn't been so friendly and patient with me.

2 comments:

  1. I went to one jujitsu class a few years back. I found it really interesting, but it also really pished me out of my comfort zone. However, 10-15 minutes of doing back shoulder roles helped me to conquer a fear at least! Rather than freaking out when expected to do one for dance, I can just hit the floor rolling. It's great.
    I also enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, we were expected to do everything to our best ability, but it didn't matter if you got it wrong. Everyone was patient and kind, but firm.
    It was a mixed class too, so I got to watch the older, more experienced students do complex holds and breaks.
    In three words - I loved it! I wish I could do a martial art properly, but I don't like the sound of karate which is all my town offers at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to conquer that fear and use it for your dancing! I had to face that fear on my first Bujinkan class, too. I'd had a miserable time with rolling in jujitsu, and lo and behold, the class started with rolling. But it went fine! That fear of rolling has been largely conquered now. :)

      Thanks for sharing your story! I hope you're able to find something you can get involved with in your town. Karate is good, but probably not the best fit for you.

      Delete