Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Structure and Freedom

It's hard to choose where to begin. There are so many possible topics to discuss, ranging from minutiae to broad concepts, and I admit that I am paralyzed by the sheer volume of options. This art has so much to teach us; one blog post seems to be a pathetic attempt at capturing even a little of it.

But, I said I would submit a blog post today. And even though there's only about an hour left of "today," I will keep my word.

Since options are what occupy my thoughts, let's talk about that.

In taijutsu, there are an incredible number of options that constantly change depending on how you or your partner move. A little turn of the foot, a shift of the shoulders, where weight is placed - all these things can come into play and influence what you are able to do.

How do you choose what to do? The quick answer would be 'just keep moving.' That's valid, but where do you want to move to? There needs to be an overall strategy to help guide your choices.

If you're just trying to get your drunk buddy under control before he (or she) hurts someone, then maybe bone-breaking locks and throws aren't what you want to go for. You would want to work toward diminishing either their ability or desire to move (both, hopefully), and then release them once they've calmed down. But, if the threat is more, well, threatening (i.e., a mugger, rapist, etc.), inflicting some real damage might not be a bad idea. If you have a weapon available, knowing when and how to use it could substantially increase your odds of survival.

Freedom to move within an overarching strategy is something we see in other areas of life, as well. I remember my freshman year of high school, my English teacher told us that the method of essay-writing she was teaching us was like binding us with ropes so we could barely move. We had to follow a strict formula, with no room for deviation or creative license. But, she also told us that those ropes would gradually loosen as we progressed through the grades, and she was right. As I moved up through high school, the rules for essay writing got gradually less strict until I was finally able to move away from the 5-paragraph essay. Now I'm simply given a topic - sometimes not even that much - and the only things I have to have are an introduction, a thesis, a body, and a conclusion.* Basic structure in which I can say whatever I want for whatever my purpose is.

Same thing in art forms. For music, you first learn the notes on the scale, then progressions, chords, minors and majors, rhythms, harmony, and so on. But you start with the basic structure of notes on a scale and how long each of them lasts, and you're able to make music with just that knowledge. In visual arts, you learn different lines, shapes, and lighting effects. Those three basic things combine to create the vast array of art we see in museums and elsewhere. (Everywhere, really, but that's probably for another discussion.)

So, I've gone from too many choices, to needing an overarching strategy to move in, to having a fundamental base to work from. Somewhere between having a plan and having a base/core is where "just move" seems to fit. Both, especially having a base/core, are vital to the success of whatever you're attempting. Some basic advice I can give for developing both skill sets are:

  1. Wherever you are, ask yourself what you would do if someone were to attack you, your friend, or a stranger right then. Are they armed? How does that change your tactic? How big or small are they compared to you?
  2. Practice the fundamentals. In Bujinkan, this includes kihon happo, sanshin no kata, kamae, and ukemi. Complete mastery cannot be achieved, but you can get a heck of a lot closer to it if you practice often and practice well!

That's all I've got for tonight. Please leave your thoughts and comments/questions below!

Ganbatte.

--Kaitlin



*My formal papers for school are a lot better organized and have a clearer point than this post did. But, like my papers, I did wait until the last minute to write this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment