Friday, March 30, 2012

Tangent on Rokkon Shojo

--originally posted Sunday, November 21, 2010--

It means "purifying the 6 senses" (the 6th being perception), and it's the theme for Bujinkan this year. There are lots of different ways to purify the senses: don't listen to your music too loudly, maintain a healthy diet, wear clothes that make your skin more sensitive to textural differences, no perfumes, take care of your eyes, etc. It's purifying perception that gets interesting.

One thing that really clicked with me is emptying the self in service of others (and in general). I think that clicked more than some of the other ways to purify perception that we talked about, because it matches what Christianity teaches (and I am indeed a Christian). I noticed that I had become very self-centered and self-serving; since that revelation, I've been trying to maintain a spirit of serving others, but it's difficult. Washing dishes and taking out the trash for our suite is a start, but I know I can serve in more ways than just that.

And here is where I run into a persistent obstacle: How much is too much when you're giving of yourself? Time, money, relationships. How much do I keep for myself? If I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to give away all my possessions, I probably would. Short of that, though, how much charity is too much? When does giving cross the line from something good into something foolish?

It's possible that jumping ahead to look at the potential for excessive giving is some unconscious roadblock to giving more than I feel like, but I still think it's a possibility worth thought and discussion. Please share your thoughts in the comment section below. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember where I heard this, but the saying was that "a warrior only takes what he needs. Nothing more."

    On the other hand, a warrior gives what he can.

    The vessel has to be capable. If the vessel is broken down, then he is of no use to anyone, and may even become dangerous (the road to hell is paved...).

    So serve aggressively, but when you feel you are breaking down, take a break. Rest. Repair. Recharge. Then get back to work!

    I like the blog, by the way!

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete